Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Crock Pot Chuck Roast

Sometimes I get super excited to cook up an elaborate meal for my family... But more often I have other exciting projects (like planning our trip to ARIZONA!) and just want food ready. Without the mess, without the time, and without too much brainpower. Sometimes I'm low on brains.

Crock pot meals to the rescue, of course!

And here's a delicious one, and more importantly, simple. You can really use any kind of cow meat you want for this one, whatever you have handy.


Ingredients:
  • 1 chuck roast
  • butter/lard/oil of choice
  • 4 medium carrots
  • 1 onion
  • Potatoes (optional)
  • Chopped garlic
  • Beef broth (you could also do a broth/red wine mixture)
  • Fresh rosemary
  • Fresh thyme
  • Sea salt & pepper to taste



Directions:

1. Turn your crock pot on low and butter the bottom to prevent sticking. Turn the stove on medium high and oil a large dutch oven or skillet. I used a mixture of lard and butter.



2. Salt and pepper the roast.


3. Once your dutch oven or skillet is hot, throw the roast on and sear both sides. This helps to keep in the flavor and moisture while the roast is cooking in the crock pot. Trust me, I've skipped this step plenty of times and the results are delicious when you take a little extra time to sear in the flavor!

I misjudged the giant size of the bone in my roast... should have used a skillet.

 4. Place the roast in the crock pot and  chop the carrots, garlic, onion, thyme and rosemary (and potatoes if you're going with those).


5. Add the veggies and herbs to the crock pot, placing them around the roast.



6. Pour in your liquids of choice to fully cover the roast. Let sit for.... ohhhh about 10 hours. The meat will be so juicy and tender! NOMNOMNOM. And your lazy ass toddler who gets bored of chewing will gobble this up!



Seriously, GOBBLE, I didn't even have a chance to take a picture of the finished product. Fat ass (it's a compliment in my culture).

No comments:

Post a Comment